Saturday, January 3, 2015

Have the Conversations that Need to Be Had...

Today, I had the absolute joy and privilege of being taken to breakfast by a dear, dear friend.  We've only known each other well for a few years, but "Sis" is how we refer to each other, and it's very accurate because we truly are family - the kind that you choose for yourself, not the kind you're born into.

As we sat by a warm fire and enjoyed each other's company, catching each other up on the little things, the conversation eventually took a God-ordained turn and veered into deeper, bigger things. How are you really?  What's God doing in your life?  Those kinds of things...the very things this blog is about, actually.



Now, usually, being in the middle of a restaurant is enough to keep me a little quiet, but not today. Today, I opened the door and shared the joys and burdens of my heart with my friend, knowing that I could trust her with them - that she would love me, advise me, support me, and pray for me.  She didn't let me down.  She never does.  What a privilege to have her in my life!

It occurs to me tonight as I reflect on the day that there are too many times I fail to have the conversations I need to have.  I needed this today.  Truly, truly needed it.  But I've needed it for a while...and haven't had it.  It's not due to a shortage of people that would listen to me.  I'm actually quite blessed in that regard.

No, it's more that I tend to put off the "big" issues...hoping that they'll resolve themselves, go away quietly, not require me to be vulnerable.  It's part of the reason that I tend to take a long time to make hard decisions and why I sometimes roam in circles in life, rather than move forward.  I ignore things that shouldn't be ignored simply because I don't always want to do the thinking, praying, and talking needed to resolve them.

My forward move today was to choose to have the conversation that needed to be had.  Nothing is magically fixed because my friend and I chatted honestly and deeply.  In fact, the journey is a little more confusing in some ways. But there is no doubt that this was the step forward that I needed.  It's not always easy to open yourself and examine what's inside.  It's sometimes pretty ugly. But how is it that I can move forward if I don't acknowledge where I actually am? Surely that has to be a good first step. I'm hoping so.

Moving Forward...
Angie :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment