Tuesday, January 13, 2015

This Teacher Got Schooled Today...

God surely has a sense of humor.  He must, because that's the only reason I can think of why He'd allow a woman who thinks she still has something to say to completely lose her voice for a few days! LOL!  Yup...I have complete laryngitis!  I may have something to say...but I have no way to actually SAY it!  Go figure!

But today, I discovered something thought-provoking and challenging in my move forward this year that I may have easily overlooked had I been in full voice.

Yesterday, I took off work because teachers with no voices to actually teach with are not in high demand these days, and I figured a sick day for me and a substitute teacher for them was a better bet for my kiddos.  But today, I braved it with the little squeak of a voice that I could muster because I know that my kiddos are heading into a big research project with a ton of new and useful skills to learn for their long-term success as students, and I actually am the best one to lead that right now - even with a small voice - not a substitute.  The thing I forgot is that teaching without a voice is HARD!



I told a friend earlier tonight that I was exhausted because I can usually teach on auto-pilot, but today, that was just not an option.  And reflecting on that later is when it hit me.  I really probably shouldn't EVER do that.

Here's the deal...I've been doing the job I do for 27 years this year, and I wouldn't trade one minute of it for any other career.  Teaching is in my blood.  It's my passion, and I consider it a true privilege to be able to impact the lives of these kiddos of mine and their families. But there are times when, because I'm not really a "newbie" any longer, that I can somewhat just show up and do it.  Not really put a lot of thought into it and just somewhat "dial it in".  And maybe...just maybe...I do that a little too often (*shameful blush*)!

Today, I had to be creative.  I had to innovate.  I didn't have a choice!  There wasn't much I could do today in the way I normally might do it.  Ever try to get 28 kids' attention with no voice?  Yeah...you can clap.  You can turn off the lights.  But then what?  Well, as it turns out, you can whisper.  You can stare them down.  You can gesture at them.  I did all those things today, and then some!  Need to teach a bunch of upper elementary kiddos, who are still relatively novice readers and writers all things considered, how to do actual research on a historical figure, how to discern which information from their online resources will add great benefit to their essays, and which is information is not quite on point for the statement they're trying to make?  That's hard WITH a voice...but today, I did it pretty well without much of one.  Intentional grouping...strong modeling...I'd say it was one of the more successful lessons I've led in a while!

Now, there is definitely something to be said for being experienced, knowing your job, and doing it efficiently and well.  But there is also something to be learned from the days where, for whatever reason, you can't do your job as you normally would, where the routine you're used to just won't work.  In any career, we need to be on our toes, I think, and guard against becoming stale and routine. Rather, we should take time to innovate once in a while. Think outside of the box every now and then. Refuse to settle for being good, when we can truly rise to the level of greatness with just a little more effort.

If I did this more frequently - tossed the regular routine and jumped outside of my comfortable, safe box - my students would be the first and greatest beneficiaries...but so would my colleagues, the families of my students, and really - me!  You see, I am now at home exhausted...but happy.  I don't have a voice, but I have a full heart.  Today was a GOOD day!

So...I'm already in my nightgown...I'm getting ready to drink some Sleepy Time tea and have a well-earned rest. (And really, I could stand a bit of snow to make my day tomorrow start a little later!)  But all in all...today can't be called anything but a productive, really good day.  Definitely a move forward in a year when it's my focus.  I never quite know how that's going to happen, but I'm glad that today surprised me. Forward in my career, after 27 years.  Who would've guessed it?!  Good night, friends...

Moving forward...
Angie
:-)

2 comments:

  1. You're so right, friend! It is good to step out of our routines once in a while. I'm so impressed that you were able to do so and make such a connection on a day when you weren't feeling well. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!! Thanks a lot, Becky!! I'm blessed to have great role models like YOU!! Great teachers amaze me!!! 😊😊

    ReplyDelete